Skip to main content

First Day of School Panic Attack


Okay so most of you know I'm not the emotional mom on the first day of school. Alan started First Grade today and today was DIFFERENT!! I don't know why it was so hard to hold back the tears as the school bus pulled away. I suspect it had something to do with the fact he was riding the bus and I wasn't leaving him in a classroom with a smiling teacher and lots of new friends. Another part of it was knowing he was going to a bare walled classroom with a SUBSTITUTE teacher until they hire a full time teacher for his class.
It's a good thing we were early to get to the bus stop. The bus came a full 10 minutes early!!
Waiting for the school bus
Waiting on the correct side of the street

The bus is here!!

Joey ran right for the doors trying to get on the bus and was quite upset he didn't get to ride.  He kept saying "I go school, I go school"

This is a picture of the school taken from our driveway!
A picture of the school close up
Our school only goes half day on EVERY Wednesday so the morning went incredibly fast. I had to take Eddie to Kindergarten for academic assessments which he did very well on according to his newly hired teacher. They hired her yesterday afternoon. This will be her first year teaching, but she is amazing prepared and has an AMAZING teacher assistant in the class!! We LOVE her already.
Eddie and Mrs. Martinez
When we finished at the school Eddie, Joey and I ran 2 errands and it was time to go home and walk to the bus stop to pick up Alan.  When the bus stopped the driver opened the door and told me she didn't know where is was and he didn't get on the bus.  (Pause here for stopped breathing)  I grabbed Joey's hand and told Eddie to Come on  as we power walked toward the house.  I grabbed my cell phone and called the school to see if he was waiting in the office.  They couldn't find him.  I told them I was on my way to the school.  Got the boys loaded in the van and as we were leaving the neighborhood the bus driver was coming back (she had a couple kids she had to drop off) to see if she could find him in case he got off at the wrong stop.  Then my cell phone rings and it was a very friendly neighbor explaining to me that Alan got off the bus with her children down the street and she was walking him to our house.  Praise the Lord I was prepared and had a note card with Alan's name, classroom number, bus number and correct bus stop, our address and phone numbers!!  I turned around and they were a block away from our house.  Alan got in the van explaining he knew the name of the street he lives on and got off on that stop knowing he could get himself home from there.  He didn't remember there was a bus stop much closer to our house on a different street and didn't realize he shouldn't get off the bus if I wasn't at the stop.  It's crystal clear that Mommy or Daddy will ALWAYS be at the stop and if there isn't a grown up he knows at the bus stop he is to stay on the bus and ride back to school!!!  I called the school to let them know he got off at the wrong stop and was safe at home.  The principal now totally knows my name between BOTH kids being in classes without hired teachers on meet the teacher day last week, Alan's class going from a 1st/2nd grade combo back to a regular 1st grade without a hired teacher yet, and a lost child on the first day of school we have talked SEVERAL times in the last couple days!!

Daniel made it home from a TDY in Salt Lake City this afternoon and after the day I had we decided we should go out for dinner to celebrate the first day of school!!  We took the kids to their new favorite, Red Robin because Wednesday is KIDS night!!  They have the Red Robbin mascot there, face painting, balloon animals, and FREE ice cream with every kids meal.  They were even kind enough to substitute apple crisp for Eddie's ice cream because of his dairy allergy :)  It was very nice to be able to end the day on a very relaxing and HAPPY note!!




Comments

Missy Patel said…
oh my gosh... what a first day of school!!! i wanted to cry reading it... my heart is still racing!!! Such cute shots at red robbin... the face painter did a great job!!! I love you guys and miss you terribly!!!
Missy Patel said…
oh my gosh... what a first day of school!!! i wanted to cry reading it... my heart is still racing!!! Such cute shots at red robbin... the face painter did a great job!!! I love you guys and miss you terribly!!!

Popular posts from this blog

ARRRRR!! Ahoy Matey!

I am long over due in this post as it's been 2 weeks ago already!! We took Alan's best buddy Aidan and his family on the Sea Dragon Pirate Cruise to celebrate all our August birthdays this year. The cruise was a BLAST!! It's family oriented and jam packed with activities for the kids. They start off in the red circle on the main deck for a safety talk about running and all the normal safety stuff. Then they give them all squirt guns and anyone on the main deck is fair game for the water gun fight. Then they have the kids swab the deck with child size mops. Then they take them into the dungeon to tell them a story about a treasure buried at sea. When they come up from the dungeon we all have to look for the "X" bouy. Then one of the pirate crew gets them all lined up with a rope and they have to pull the chest up out of the water. Everyone gets some of the treasure to take home. One of the last activities was getting pirate tatoos. Here is Alan aka Captain

New House Pictures

I posted pictures of the new house on Picasa today.  You can click  HERE  to see them.  We unloaded 12,000lbs and returned the truck today.  Daniel reports to work at 6:30am and the boys and I will be cleaning, unpacking and sorting.  They are scheduled to deliver the appliances and install the security system as well.

My First Smile Box Production

Make your own slide shows and scrapbooks